Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Palm Beach County Library System is a non-profit, 501(c)3, organization whose mission is the promotion of enhanced library services.
Friends support the Library by sponsoring programs, providing financial assistance for special events, advocating for library needs, and in developing and expanding its services and facilities, when not provided for in the Library’s budget.
- Jane Blevins, President
- Kenneth Ida, Vice-President
- Kathy Boyes, Secretary
- Carolyn Brown, Treasurer
- John J. Callahan III (ex officio) Library Director
- Nicole Hughes (staff liaison)
- Alice Chambers
- Robert Chambers
- Peggy Gustafson
- Manfred Junker
- Lois Mickelson
- Judy Quinn
- Nancy Rimkunas
- Joyce Smith
What Do Friends Do?
- Collect donations of used materials (books, CDs, DVDs, magazines, books on tape, etc.) from patrons that are available in local branches where, for a small donation, you may select items for your personal use.
- Fund cultural programs and activities, i.e. author visits, puppet shows, storytellers, and more.
- Fund programs for children and adults systemwide.
- Fund the purchase of library materials, furniture, and equipment.
- Speak out in support of the library at public forums.
- Stimulate public support and greater use of our facilities.
- Provide $5,000 annually to the Ingrid A. Eckler Scholarship Fund to fund scholarships for library employees who are working towards Masters in Library Science degrees.
- Provide funds for the annual Writer’s LIVE! programs of author visits systemwide.
- Manage funds donated by individuals, organizations, or foundations designated for specific purposes.
Why Become a Friend?
- Membership dues are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.
- Receive Happenings, the Library System’s monthly calendar of events.
- Dues, donations, and special events pay for special programs and other needs not covered by the library’s budget.
- Attend the monthly Board of Directors’ meeting at the Main Library on the 4th Thursday of each month at 9:30 am.
What Can Friends’ Members Do?
- Encourage friends and neighbors to donate used materials (books, CDs, DVD, magazines, etc.) to their local library so that others can select items and make a donation to the Friends.
- Encourage your friends and neighbors to become dues paying members and provide funds for library enhancement.
- Attend Board of Directors’ meetings.
- Consider becoming a Board member and assist us in this vital service to the Library System.
- Consider giving monetary gifts and Gifts to the Collection (forms are available at all library locations or click on the link below).
- Please put the Friends of the Library on your list for end-of-year gifts.
- Remember the Friends of the Library in your estate planning.
Download the Friends’ Gifts to the Collection Form.
Download the Friends' Donation Form.