Use Flipster to view many popular magazines right on your computer or mobile device. All titles are full-page, full-color duplicates of the print titles and are available the same day the paper copies hit the newsstands. Back issues for each title are also available. Every issue is available instantly with no holds or waiting lists, and there are no limits on the number of titles that can be read online or downloaded to the mobile app.
What is Flipster?
Flipster is a platform for reading digital magazines on a computer or mobile device. Flipster magazines are full-page, full-color duplicates of the print titles and include the most current and a number of back issues. All titles are available instantly with no holds or waiting lists, and there are no limits on the number of titles that can be read online or downloaded to the mobile app.
What devices can use Flipster?
Flipster works in your browser with any computer, smartphone, or tablet with an internet connection.
How do I get started reading digital magazines?
The basic steps for reading magazines with Flipster are:
1. Using the browser on a computer or mobile device visit the PBCLS Flipster collection through a Flipster link on the library’s webpage.
2. If you are outside a library, enter your library card number, and click Login.
3. Browse the titles in the Latest or All Issues sliders by clicking the right and left navigation arrows on either side of the slider.
4. When you find a title you want to read, click its cover.
5. The magazine will open in a new browser window.
Do I need to be connected to the internet to read a magazine?
Flipster is primarily a streaming service. You must be connected to the internet and connect through a link on our website to read or download an issue. If you have a tablet device, you may be able to install the Flipster app to save magazines to your device for offline reading.
Do I need an app to read magazines on my mobile device?
No. As long as you have an internet connection, all you need to do is visit the Flipster site in your browser.
Is there an app available?
There is a Flipster app available for tablet devices that you can use to store magazines for offline reading, but you cannot use the app itself to access the collection. The app is simply used to store issues you have downloaded using your device’s browser, and open them without an internet connection.
What tablet devices can use the Flipster app?
iPads (standard and mini) with iOS 7 or later.
Android Tablets with Android 4.2 or later and a 7 inch screen or larger.
Kindle Fire HD (3rd and 4th generation) with 7 inch screen. Note that although the Flipster app is available in the Amazon app store, you need to install it using the special instructions below.
How do I install the Flipster app on a Kindle Fire HD?
1. From the home screen of your Kindle Fire, go to Settings.
2. Select Applications > Apps from Unknown Sources (allow installation of applications that are not from Appstore) and select ON.
3. Download the app by going to this Flipster for Kindle Fire app link.
4. Once the download is complete, tap on the file and select Install.
How do I download a magazine to the Flipster app for offline reading?
1. Using your device’s internet browser, go to our Flipster site and tap on a magazine to open it. The magazine will open in the mobile viewer.
2. Tap the menu in the upper left hand corner and select Open in App. The Flipster app will open and download the magazine.
3. Once the download has completed, the magazine is available to read in the app while offline.
How many magazines can I read/download?
As many as you like. There are no limits to the number of titles you can read online or download to the Flipster app.
Do titles downloaded to the app expire?
Some titles do expire, but this is set by the publisher. Expired titles will display an expired icon and appear grayed out when no longer available to read. Weekly titles that expire are available to read for two days. Monthly titles that expire are available to read for seven days.
Can you re-download an issue that has expired?
Yes. There is no limit to the number of times an issue can be downloaded to the app.
Are back issues available?
Yes, but back issue coverage will vary on a title by title basis. In general, between six months and one year of back issues are available for each title.
How do I access back issues?
Open a title and click/tap the ‘All Issues’ button in the sidebar/menu. A list of available back issues will display. Click on an issue to open it. Back issues are only available through your computer or device’s browser. You cannot access back issues using the Flipster app.
Can I print from a magazine?
Printing is available when reading a magazine on a computer, but not from a mobile device or through the Flipster app. The print button is located towards the bottom of the right sidebar when viewing a magazine. The available print options are determined by the publisher. You may be able to print a single page, a range of pages, or none at all.