Adult Literacy Project Monthly Tutor Timecard
It's Never Too Late to Learn!
In the U.S., 22 percent of adults function at the lowest levels of literacy. In Palm Beach County, that’s over 70,000 adults!
Simple tasks present huge barriers:
- Completing a job application.
- Reading a medicine label.
- Registering to vote.
- Opening a bank account.
- Helping a child with homework.
A highly rewarding experience awaits you!
- Volunteer a few hours each week and make a difference.
- Teach an adult to read, write or speak English.
- Materials and training are offered free-of-charge.
Useful Links for Students
These general ESOL websites offer many types of activities (grammar, listening, pronunciation, vocabulary, reading, etc.) for language learners of all levels. We have also included some useful non-ESOL links for reading and math.
Grammar and Written English
- Activities for ESL Students - Grammar reviews, bilingual quizzes, vocabulary with pictures, and much more.
- Transparent Language Online - Learn English with BYKI. Register to use this interactive ESOL site. An e-mail address is required.
- Dave’s ESL Cafe - Grammar reviews, slang, pronunciation, and idioms are covered.
- English Learning Site for Spanish Speakers - This is a great website for Spanish speakers who are just starting to learn English or are having a difficult time using English language sites. The site provides grammar lessons at different levels.
- ESL Blues - Choose from a variety of grammar quizzes.
- Learning Center Study Zone - This user-friendly site provides a comprehensive grammar review for all levels. Lessons are followed by quizzes.
- Learn on the Go - Offers practice in reading English, learning new vocabulary, and listening to stories about different topics.
- USA Learns - A free site for adults to improve English speaking, pronunciation, listening, reading, spelling, writing, and grammar.
- ELL Worksheets - Download printable worksheets, activities & exercises.
- Advanced ESL Listening Practice - Listen to a variety of stories in English. Reading speed may be adjusted.
- Randall's ESL Lab - Listening comprehension quizzes.
- ManyThings - A free study site for ESL students with games, quizzes, puzzles, MP3 files with transcripts, listening practice, pronunciation and more.
- Voice of America Learning English - This site gives students the opportunity to listen to news articles in simple English. The stories come with a transcript and a number of activities that focus on reading comprehension, vocabulary, and listening skills.
- Learn English for Free - Video lessons by experienced teachers.
- Learning Express - Study for the TOEFL and take TOEFL practice tests online. Online registration is required
- Test Preview TOEFL Practice - TOEFL practice tests that cover grammar, reading comprehension, sentence completion, and writing. Practice tests can be printed.
- TOEFL Test Preparation - This site provides a number of TOEFL practice questions and lessons.
Reading, Math and More
- Learn on the Go - Practice reading, math, and learn more about computer skills.
- Learning Express - Study for your GED, ABE test, citizenship test, and much more. To use the site you need to register online.
- Math Review - Review your math skills at this website.
- News For You - This site offers easy-to-read news stories that can help you learn to read, write, speak, and understand the English language. Seven new stories are posted each Wednesday, along with audio, exercises, vocabulary, a crossword puzzle and a word search.
- Times in Plain English - Current news stories are written in plain language. Great site for advanced ESOL or non-ESOL readers to use.
- LINCS Learning Center - The LINCS Learning Center connects you to free online resources to reach your life goals. Choose a goal to learn how to read, get job skills, and more.
- TV411 - TV411 Helps adults gain the basic reading, writing, math, and science skills adults need to achieve their educational, career, and personal goals.
- Learning Chocolate - Learning Chocolate provides vocabulary exercises organized by theme.
- ESL Bits - ESL Bits has audiobooks, news stories, short stories, songs and radio dramas.
- Discovery - Use Discovery for interactive science and nature news.
Useful Links for Tutors
These links include useful resources for our tutors.
- FCRR Literacy Games - CMCE Reads! Florida Center for Reading Research “Student Center Activities” covering kindergarten through fifth grade lesson plans.
- Florida Literacy Coalition, Inc. - Florida's Adult and Family Literacy Resource Center offers a Tutor Help Center focusing on literacy/ABE and ESOL strategies.
- Learning Center Study Zone - This site provides a comprehensive grammar review for all levels. Lessons are followed by quizzes. Tutors can find lesson plan ideas and print grammar quizzes.
- Learning Disabilities Association of America - Provides support to people with learning disabilities — information on learning disabilities, practical solutions, and a comprehensive network of resources.
- Literacy Coalition of Palm Beach County - “The mission of the Literacy Coalition is to improve the quality of life in our community by promoting and achieving literacy.”
- Southwest Adult Basic Education - Offers reading, comprehension, and vocabulary activities for use by students and tutors.
- Math Fact Cafe - This site allows tutors to build their own math worksheets.
- ProLiteracy Education Network - Offers reading, comprehension, and vocabulary activities for use by students. Lesson plans are also provided for adult literacy tutors.
- School District of Palm Beach County-Community Educator - Guide to Adult and Community Education Classes with a locator map listing schools that offer ESOL and GED classes.
- Tutoring ABE Video - This video is an example of the first tutoring session. During this session the student and tutor get to know each other and set goals.
Meet new friends and practice English! Free informal conversational sessions. Participants should have a basic understanding of English. Seating is limited.
Between Us Newsletter (PDF) : Student newsletter written for and by students includes announcements, accomplishments, and Literacy*AmeriCorps member information.
Tutor Talk Newsletter (PDF) : Includes upcoming events, student/tutor interviews, tutor tips, and helpful websites.
We are recruiting volunteers who can tutor at any library location. Registration is required to participate. Tutors must attend orientation and tutor training workshop to volunteer with our program.
Please call (561) 894-7510 for more information.
Library Literacy Friends, Inc.
Library Literacy Friends, Inc. is an organization comprised of volunteers, students, and other concerned community members who recognize the basic literacy needs of adults in our community. We are committed to support, promote, and expand the presence and effectiveness of the Palm Beach County Library’s Adult Literacy Project in providing one-on-one tutoring for adult basic literacy learners.
Our members devote their time and talent to achieve the following:
- Create public interest in the cause of adult literacy.
- Increase awareness of the Adult Literacy Project.
- Encourage community participation in the program.
- Support volunteer tutor training and staff development.
- Provide educational materials.
- Sponsor tutor and student workshops and cultural events.
It is the mission of Library Literacy Friends, Inc. to support and fund the program in all aspects to ensure the continued success of the Palm Beach County Library’s Adult Literacy Project.
Frequently Asked Questions