Trusted Information for Your Research Needs
The Consumer Health Information Service (CHIS) is a service of the Palm Beach County Library System. The mission of the Consumer Health Information Service is to contribute to the quality of life of Palm Beach County residents by improving their access to health-related information.
This website is designed with you, the consumer, in mind. Here is a comprehensive and authoritative collection of health information resources. Our professional staff of librarians will provide personalized assistance and follow-up at each branch by telephone or e-mail, and will consider your inquiry confidential. Our website and the CHIS are both free to the public.
Call us at (561) 233-2736
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice.
Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or medical condition.
Check out Our Consumer Health Information Service Collection
Affordable Care Act & Finding Health Insurance
- Affordable Care Act-Health Insurance Marketplace From the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Affordable Care Act - Find Local Help
- Affordable Care Act - Marketplace Application Checklist Describes the kind of information you need to have to enroll in the Healthcare Marketplace
- Affordable Care Act en Español Inscríbase ahora en un plan que cubre beneficios de salud esenciales, condiciones preexistentes y mucho más.
- Affordable Care Act-Health Law Answers Enter your situation to find out how the Affordable Care Act affects you. From AARP.
- Florida Health Plan Information Designed to give consumers a summary of the various health plans, as well as results of member satisfaction survey.
- Health Plan Report Cards Get help choosing the right health plan for you and your family.
- Local Affordable Care Act Navigators Do you need information about the Health Insurance Marketplace or assistance completing an application? Navigators are individuals in the community trained specifically to offer assistance with the Marketplace. From Enroll Palm Beach.
- Managed Care From MEDLINEPlus, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health
- SHINE The SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) Program provides elders and their caregivers with information and unbiased health insurance counseling.
- Small Group Carrier List From the Florida Department of Insurance
Discounted/Free Medication Programs
- Cancer Care Copayment Assistance Foundation Addresses the needs of individuals who cannot afford their insurance copayments to cover the cost of medications for treating cancer.
- Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs Medicare beneficiaries can qualify for Extra Help with their Medicare prescription drug plan costs. The Extra Help is estimated to be worth about $4,000 per year. To qualify for the Extra Help, a person must be receiving Medicare, have limited resources and income, and reside in one of the 50 States or the District of Columbia.
- Health Insurance Links to insurance issues from MEDLINEPlus, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Medicare: How to Get Drug Coverage Information from Medicare on how to get drug coverage
Help if you are Uninsured
- Caridad Center Free medical and dental screenings, blood work and immunizations, and a limited pharmacy for migrant farm worker families in West Boynton Beach - 561-737-6336.
- Community Health Center The Community Health Center serves people who cannot afford quality health care, and who currently fall through the gaps of our health care system. (561) 840-8681.
- Florida Atlantic University Community Wellness Center FAU Community Wellness Center offers an array of services, directed by advanced practice nurses and social workers in collaboration with other health care providers. (561) 803-8880
- Florida KidCare Florida KidCare offers affordable, low-cost health insurance for the uninsured children of Florida, from birth through age 18. Toll free 888-540-5437
- Foundcare Palm Beach County’s full-service, non-profit community health center. Designed to provide affordable access to quality primary health, dental and preventive care to children and families in Palm Beach County. The Community Health Center will serve all patients -- including the uninsured and underinsured. 561-HEALTHY (561-432-5849)
- Genesis Community Health Genesis Community Health, Inc., is a faith-based Florida non-profit primary care organization committed to providing accessible, affordable and quality service to all members of the communities they serve. Phone: (561) 735-6553
- Health Centers From the Bureau of Primary Health Care, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- MyClinic of Jupiter MyClinic exists so that low-income, uninsured and underserved residents in our community have access to quality health services through a well-coordinated system of care. Call 561-203-7511
- Palm Beach County Health Care District The Health Care District of Palm Beach County provides health coverage to uninsured residents. Toll-free 866-930-0035
- Palm Beach County Health Department Clinics in West Palm Beach, Riviera Beach, Delray Beach, Jupiter, Lantana, Pahokee and Belle Glade - 840-4500
- Project Access Project Access is a network of physicians that volunteer their time and services to the uninsured in Palm Beach County. The program is administered by the Palm Beach County Medical Society and is funded through grants and donations. For screening information call (561) 433-3940 ext 29.