Trusted Information for Your Research Needs
The Consumer Health Information Service (CHIS) is a service of the Palm Beach County Library System. The mission of the Consumer Health Information Service is to contribute to the quality of life of Palm Beach County residents by improving their access to health-related information.
This website is designed with you, the consumer, in mind. Here is a comprehensive and authoritative collection of health information resources. Our professional staff of librarians will provide personalized assistance and follow-up at each branch by telephone or e-mail, and will consider your inquiry confidential. Our website and the CHIS are both free to the public.
Call us at (561) 233-2736
This information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice.
Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding your health or medical condition.
Check out Our Consumer Health Information Service Collection
Affordable Care Act & Finding Health Insurance
- Affordable Care Act-Health Insurance Marketplace From the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Affordable Care Act - Find Local Help
- Affordable Care Act - Marketplace Application Checklist Describes the kind of information you need to have to enroll in the Healthcare Marketplace
- Affordable Care Act en Español Inscríbase ahora en un plan que cubre beneficios de salud esenciales, condiciones preexistentes y mucho más.
- Affordable Care Act-Health Law Answers Enter your situation to find out how the Affordable Care Act affects you. From AARP.
- Florida Health Plan Information Designed to give consumers a summary of the various health plans, as well as results of member satisfaction survey.
- Health Plan Report Cards Get help choosing the right health plan for you and your family.
- Local Affordable Care Act Navigators Do you need information about the Health Insurance Marketplace or assistance completing an application? Navigators are individuals in the community trained specifically to offer assistance with the Marketplace. From Enroll Palm Beach.
- Managed Care From MEDLINEPlus, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health
- SHINE The SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) Program provides elders and their caregivers with information and unbiased health insurance counseling.
- Small Group Carrier List From the Florida Department of Insurance
Discounted/Free Medication Programs
- Be the Match May help pay for some of the cost of prescription drugs that you take when recovering from a marrow transplant.
- BenefitsCheckUp BenefitsCheckUp helps thousands every day to find programs for people ages 55 and over that may pay for some of their costs of prescription drugs, health care, utilities, and other essential items or services
- Cancer Care Copayment Assistance Foundation Addresses the needs of individuals who cannot afford their insurance copayments to cover the cost of medications for treating cancer.
- Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Plan Costs Medicare beneficiaries can qualify for Extra Help with their Medicare prescription drug plan costs. The Extra Help is estimated to be worth about $4,000 per year. To qualify for the Extra Help, a person must be receiving Medicare, have limited resources and income, and reside in one of the 50 States or the District of Columbia.
- Florida Discount Drug Card Program The Florida Discount Drug Card is designed to lower the cost of prescriptions for Florida residents who are: Age 60 and older and without prescription drug coverage or who fall into the Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage gap; OR Under age 60, without prescription drug coverage, and with an annual family income of less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Level.
- Good Days Good Days exists to improve the health and quality of life of patients with chronic disease, cancer, or other life-altering conditions. At Good Days, our mission is to ensure no one has to choose between getting the medication they need and affording the necessities of everyday living.
- Health Insurance Links to insurance issues from MEDLINEPlus, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Healthwell Foundation Provides financial assistance to eligible individuals to cover coinsurance, copayments, healthcare premiums and deductibles for certain treatments.
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Co-pay assistance program offers help paying for treatment related copays, private health insurance copays and premiums.
- Medicare: How to Get Drug Coverage Information from Medicare on how to get drug coverage
- Medicine Assistance Tool You have enough to worry about right now. Figuring out how to pay for your prescriptions shouldn’t be another stressor.
- National Organization for Rare Diseases (NORD) NORD's medication assistance programs help people with certain conditions afford medications and premiums or co-payments.
- NeedyMeds Learn about patient assistance programs and other programs designed to help those who can't afford their medicines.
- Palm Beach County Prescription Drug Cards FREE to County Residents With the Palm Beach County/National Association of Counties (NACo) Prescription Discount Card provided to you in a joint effort with Caremark, you can save money on many of your prescription purchases.
- Patient Access Network The Patient Access Network (PAN) Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to providing help and hope to people with chronic or life-threatening illnesses for whom cost limits access to breakthrough medical treatments.
- Patient Advocate Foundation Co-Pay Relief Provides direct financial support to insured patients, including Medicare Part D beneficiaries, who must financially and medically qualify to access pharmaceutical co-payment assistance. Call center counselors personally guide patients through the enrollment process.
- RxAssist A comprehensive database of patient assistance programs, as well as practical tools, news, and articles for health care professionals and patients to find the all the information they need in one place.
- RxHope RxHope is exactly what its name implies...a helping hand to people in need in obtaining critical medications that they would normally have trouble affording. We act as your advocate in making the patient assistance program journey easier and faster by supplying vital information and help.
Help if you are Uninsured
- Caridad Center Free medical and dental screenings, blood work and immunizations, and a limited pharmacy for migrant farm worker families in West Boynton Beach - 561-737-6336.
- Community Health Center The Community Health Center serves people who cannot afford quality health care, and who currently fall through the gaps of our health care system. (561) 840-8681.
- Florida Atlantic University Community Wellness Center FAU Community Wellness Center offers an array of services, directed by advanced practice nurses and social workers in collaboration with other health care providers. (561) 803-8880
- Florida KidCare Florida KidCare offers affordable, low-cost health insurance for the uninsured children of Florida, from birth through age 18. Toll free 888-540-5437
- Florida Medicaid Links to Florida Medicaid resources, including enrollment links.
- Foundcare Palm Beach County’s full-service, non-profit community health center. Designed to provide affordable access to quality primary health, dental and preventive care to children and families in Palm Beach County. The Community Health Center will serve all patients -- including the uninsured and underinsured. 561-HEALTHY (561-432-5849)
- Genesis Community Health Genesis Community Health, Inc., is a faith-based Florida non-profit primary care organization committed to providing accessible, affordable and quality service to all members of the communities they serve. Phone: (561) 735-6553
- Health Centers From the Bureau of Primary Health Care, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- MyClinic of Jupiter MyClinic exists so that low-income, uninsured and underserved residents in our community have access to quality health services through a well-coordinated system of care. Call 561-203-7511
- Palm Beach County Health Care District The Health Care District of Palm Beach County provides health coverage to uninsured residents. Toll-free 866-930-0035
- Palm Beach County Health Department Clinics in West Palm Beach, Riviera Beach, Delray Beach, Jupiter, Lantana, Pahokee and Belle Glade - 840-4500
- Patient Advocate Foundation Assists patients diagnosed with life threatening or debilitating diseases resolve issues with their insurer, employer and/or creditor regarding insurance, job retention and/or debt crisis matters. Professional case managers and attorneys specialize in mediation, negotiation, and education, advocate on behalf of patients (800) 532-5274
- Project Access Project Access is a network of physicians that volunteer their time and services to the uninsured in Palm Beach County. The program is administered by the Palm Beach County Medical Society and is funded through grants and donations. For screening information call (561) 433-3940 ext 29.