About Main Library
The Main Library has the largest variety of research materials in the Library System. Due to its expansive research services and collection, the Main Library provides services to the neighborhood and the county. It is also an inviting community gathering space.
By Bus: Palm Tran Route 2
From I-95: Take I-95 to Southern Blvd. (Exit 68), go west to Congress Ave., then south to Summit Blvd. Turn right on Summit Blvd., Library is midway between Congress Ave. and Military Trail on the left.
From Florida’s Turnpike: Take the Turnpike to Southern Blvd., go east to Jog Road, then south to Summit Blvd. Turn left on Summit Blvd. to Library on right.
- An extensive business resource center
- A computer-training lab with staff on hand to offer assistance with the computers. The computer lab also offers hands-on training classes.
- The CreationStation
- Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL)
- Government Research Service (GRS) and Genealogy Research Service
- Consumer Health Information Service
- The Audubon Collection donated and maintained by The Audubon Society of the Everglades, Inc., a chapter of the National Audubon Society (WWW) and the Florida Audubon Society
- Books in Spanish and other foreign languages
- Staff members who are fluent in Spanish and Creole
- A Library Science collection for those studying to become librarians
- Self-service fax machine (outgoing only)
- To U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean
- $1.75 for the first page.
- $1.00 for each additional page.
- $3.95 for the first page.
- $3.45 for each additional page.
- Pay by credit card (Visa, Master Card, American Express, or Discover) or prepaid fax card. No coin box.
- To U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean
- A separate teen section
- Family restroom in the children’s section
- Three study rooms
- Meeting Room that seats 80
- Two designated quiet areas
- Comfortable seating and reading tables with electrical connections for laptops throughout
- Color and black & white copiers
- Self-service options at Member Services
- Exterior book drop and automated sorting equipment
- Free Wi-Fi and internet access
- Art in Public Places mural “Books on a Library Floor” by Suzi K. Edwards
- The Palm Beach County Genealogical Society Library has office hours Mon – Fri from 10 am-4 pm
- Seven catalog computers to search for materials; one is in the children’s section
- Four online resource computers
- 30 Public internet computers with Microsoft Office
- Two express (15 min.) internet computers for visitors
- 12 Public internet and Microsoft Office computers in the computer lab
- Six public internet computers with Microsoft Office in the teen section
- Six public internet computers in the children’s section
Public adult and children's computers shut down 15 minutes before the branch closes. Guest computers shut down 10 minutes before the branch closes.
North to Belvedere Road, south to 10th Avenue North, west to Jog Road, and east to the city limits of West Palm Beach. This area has a population of over 100,000. Due to its information services and collection, the Main Library is heavily used by citizens both inside and outside the Taxing District.
Nearest County Libraries
- Okeechobee Blvd. Branch (5.5 miles)
- Lantana Road Branch (6.5 miles)
- Greenacres Branch (6.5 miles)
- Wellington Branch (10 miles)
History of the Branch
The Main Library opened to the public in 1972. It became both the central library for the county and served as the administrative headquarters. The library has undergone two expansions over the last 30 years, increasing building size over 25,000 sq. ft. The Main Library celebrated its 40th year of operation in November 2012.
- Opened in 1972: 6,000 sq. ft. Public Service area.
- Expanded in 1978 to a 21,900 sq. ft. Public Service area.
- Expanded in 1994 to a 31,900 sq. ft. Public Service area.
- This 46,480 sq. ft. County owned building also houses the Library System headquarters.